FC Dallas Wins 2-1 Over DC United Capturing Tie for First Place in MLS

FC Dallas (10-5-5, 35 points) got a late goal from recently named MLS All-Star Fabian Castillo and Plano native Kellyn Acosta to defeat Eastern Conference leaders D.C. United, 2-1, tonight at Toyota Stadium.
The win gave FC Dallas 35 points on the season, moving the team into a tie with United for first place in MLS through the first 20 games of the season.
FC Dallas’ Mauro Diaz nearly gave FC Dallas the lead in the 16th minute following a throw-in on the right flank. After the ball was cleared to the top of the area, Diaz showed up in the right place at the right time and cracked a first-touch volley towards the upper near post. Fortunately for United, goalkeeper Andrew Dykstra was in position and made a diving save to his left to keep the match scoreless.
Acosta intercepted the ball and picked out a streaking Castillo with a dangerous cross just before halftime. Castillo opted to head the ball on goal, aiming low to Dykstra’s right side, but the 6-4 goalkeeper was able to get down and cover the spot to send the teams into the break tied, 0-0.
In the 53rd minute of the match, Castillo came within inches of giving Dallas a one-goal lead.  A long cross from Atiba Harris floated to the back of D.C. United’s six-yard box. David Texeira was there to win the ball and put it back into a dangerous area. The loose ball fell to Castillo, 12-yards from goal but the MLS All-Star’s spinning volley flew just over the bar.
Harris rattled the crossbar with a header in the 66th minute, but still FC Dallas was unable to get one by Dykstra. The shot deflected off the bar, down onto the pitch on the wrong side of the goal line and was quickly cleared away by a D.C. United defender.
One minute later, FC Dallas surpassed the Seattle Sounders FC’s shutout streak of 338 minutes, which was recorded in May of this season to claim the longest in MLS this season.
After coming within inches of finding the back of the net with long strikes on two attempts earlier in the match, Acosta scored from three feet out in the 77th minute. The play began with Michael Barrios taking a shot from the left side of the area. Chris Korb blocked the shot for United, but the rebound fell to Texeira. The Uruguayan made a quick pass across the floor inside the six-yard box and Acosta was there to shove the ball over the end line.
FC Dallas’ shutout streak ended at 348 minutes, when D.C. United tied the match, 1-1, in the 77th minute. The play began with a buildup down the left side, where Taylor Kemp got off a well-struck cross. Jario Arrieta was in the area and tried to stretch to reach the cross but was unable to get a foot to the ball. In doing so, Arrieta crossed up FC Dallas captain Matt Hedges and the ball deflected off the center back and ended up in his own net.

Meanwhile, earlier Saturday the FC Dallas U-16 Academy claimed the U.S. Development Academy championship with a 4-0 win over Red Bull New York. The national title is the second for an FC Dallas Academy side this week, as the U-15s claimed a title of their own on Wednesday.

Read more here:  http://www.fcdallas.com/news/2015/07/fc-dallas-u-16-academy-claims-championship-4-0-win-over-new-york-red-bulls.