The Good & Not So Good: Jason Garrett
Last week, the Dallas Cowboys (2-1) overcame a 21 point deficit, to defeat the St. Louis Rams (1-2), 34-31. That win was just the third time in Cowboys franchise history, that they have overcome three touchdowns to win a football game. It was also the first time they were able to win the game in regulation.
The first time that the Cowboys overcame a 21 point deficit to win a football game, was in 1984, when the Cowboys shut out the New Orleans Saints 21-0 in the fourth quarter, and went on to win the game 30-27, thanks to a 41-yard field goal by Rafael Septien in overtime. The previous mark was 20 points, set by the 1983 Cowboys versus the Washington Redskins.
The last time that the Cowboys tied the record, was in Week One of the 1999 NFL season. The Cowboys were able to score 21 points in the fourth quarter, and put up six more in overtime, to defeat the Washington Redskins, 41-36. Cowboys Head Coach Jason Garrett was a six year veteran on that team at the time.
Garrett has been a part of some very historic Cowboys teams, and is currently etching his name into the record books of the Dallas Cowboys Organization as a coach. I think that it is safe to say that he knows what it takes to win. Everything hasn’t been smooth sailing for the Cowboys since 2011, but Garrett is making an impact, slowly, but surely.
Last week proves that progress is taking place at Valley Ranch.
Since 2011, Garrett has helped to shatter 23 franchise records. Not all of the records are achievements, as nine of the 23 team records set, are franchise worsts.
Lets take a look at both the good, and not-so-good team records that have been broken, since 2011, when Garrett took over as Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys:
– MOST POINTS OVERCOME TO WIN GAME – 21, vs. St. Louis Rams (9/21/14).
– MOST COMBINED POINTS SCORED – 99, in 51-48 loss to Denver Broncos (10/6/13).
– MOST POINTS COMBINED IN 4TH QUARTER – 41, vs. Detroit Lions (10/27/13).
– MOST TWO POINT CONVERSIONS ATTEMPTED IN A SEASON – 4 in 2012.
– MOST TWO POINT CONVERSIONS MADE INA SEASON – 3 in 2012.
– FIRST DOWNS ON PENALTIES IN A GAME – 10, vs. Cleveland Browns (11/18/12).
– MOST PASSES ATTEMPTED, SEASON – 658 in 2012.
– MOST PASSES COMPLETED IN A SEASON – 434 in 2012.
– MOST PASSING YARDS IN A SEASON – 4,729 IN 2012.
– MOST YARDS PASSING IN A GAME – 470 vs. Denver Broncos (10/6/13).
– FIVE TOUCHDOWNS PASSING, vs. Denver Broncos (10/6/13).
– 253 YARDS RUSHING, vs. St Louis Rams (10/23/11).
– MOST FIRST DOWNS PASSING IN A GAME – 24 vs. Chicago Bears (10/1/12).
– MOST PASSING FIRST DOWNS IN A SEASON – 237 in 2012.
NOT SO GOOD
– MOST POINTS OVERCOME, OPPONENT TO WIN GAME – 24 vs. Detroit Lions (10/2/11).
– MOST POINTS ALLOWED IN FOURTH QUARTER – 24 vs. Detroit Lions (10/27/13).
– MOST FIRST DOWNS ALLOWED IN A SEASON – 383 in 2013.
– MOST FIRST DOWNS ALOWED IN A GAME – 40 vs. New Orleans Saints (11/10/13).
– MOST PASSING FIRST DOWNS ALLOWED IN A SEASON – 237 in 2012.
– MOST YARDS ALLOWED IN A SEASON – 6,645 in 2013. 5,687 in 2012.
– FEWEST RUSHING ATTEMPTS IN A GAME – 9 vs. Minnesota Vikings (11/3/13).
– MOST PASSES ATTEMPTED AGAINST, SEASON – 623 in 2013.
– MOST OPPONENT YARDS ALLOWED, SEASON – 4,589 in 2013.
– MOST YARDS PASSING BY OPPONENT IN A GAME – 480 vs. Detroit Lions (10/27/13).
– SOURCE: DALLAS COWBOYS